Sunday, June 1, 2008

Proof by Obscurity !!!

I don't know if this is common but I meet a lot of people (and have started indulging in it a li'll bit myself as well) who try convincing you things by citing obscure references.

What, there is a car that runs on soda?

Yeah! They had this French magazine. It's very big in ... err ...hmm ...

Southern Europe. For some reason you don't get it here. My uncle has a copy. I saw it there. Runs on soda. They say it's All Fizz and No Gas.

Can you argue with such logic? Impeccable.

You've eaten ice creams with chilies in it?

Yes. You haven't? You should seriously go to this town in Madhya Pradesh. It is famous for it's Chili Ice Cream. It's hot and cold at the same time.

Are you sure it's not Chilly Ice Cream.

Dude, have you been to this town? No.

Then why are you arguing.

... people can just go on like this. In my field I meet several people who start their statements with "I don't remember which magazine I read this in but ..." or "This is classified information, so it's still not published but ...". You can never prove these people wrong and have to just quietly agree to whatever they let out.

I shouldn't complain. I've started using this technique myself. Every time my wife wants me to go for a movie that I don't wanna watch I'll say, "Oh I saw this review on a film show in ... hmmm ... can't remember the channel. They said it's overrated. Do u still wanna see it?".

Chah! I feel bad, but then it works. Don't believe me? This is a proven theory. You can check out this book by an Indian author ... hmmm . I forget his name ... but he shows it conclusively :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I dont remember where i read it but some people say that a genious is not born everyday..hahaa ..always a pleasure to eat chilly ice-creams ;-)

Anonymous said...

In an obscure town in North East Sikkim they found this Cobra which used to dance every time it comes in contact with Human Beings... can you beat that..? ....it is "classfied" in NGC Archives.

Skywalker said...

Dear Sunitha- thanks... my account was in a dearth of comments all this while , but now since you are back to the grind, let me pull off a few more of my rants from the gunny bag & write more....waise ice creams in any form are always welcome :-))

Skywalker said...

Dear Mamooli... the anonymous commenter can none other be than you.... you wanna know why ?? only you could find a north east corner in sikkim, which is any which in the northernest eastern part of India one can ever reach....... yet u did it my friend... hats off to the only mamooli cobra there can ever be... cheers

WHEN I STAND BEFORE GOD AT THE END OF MY LIFE, I WOULD HOPE THAT I WOULD NOT HAVE A SINGLE BIT OF TALENT LEFT, AND COULD SAY, " I USED UP EVERYTHING YOU GAVE ME "